January Background

Thursday, December 9, 2010

This One's for You Miss A

I have a friend who cooks AMAZING things pretty much daily.  I used to hang out at her house and watch her start dinner at crazy times like NOON or earlier!  I sat and worried about how much therapy might cost my kids when they were older, since they were normally being fed quickie meals. They sure didn't have a mom taking time to actually roast a chicken or chop several DIFFERENT types of veggies for the stir fry.  My kids were so deprived!

This friend moved away a few years ago, and man, I wish she were still here.  I'd love to show her that I have NOW learned to roast my own chicken and even chop more than one veggie in a sitting. 

What always kills me though is that every time we talk, she requests my macaroni and cheese recipe.  I think I took this dish to her once when maybe she had a baby or had a party or had....something....

Well, here it is.  It's not fancy by any means, but nothing involving cheese, butter and pasta need be fancy in my opinion.

The Infamous Mac n Cheese Recipe

12 oz pkg dried macaroni
3/4 lbs. velveeta cubed
2 1/2 Tbs. flour
2 Tbs. Butter
3 c milk
pepper to taste

Cook macaroni in salted water until done.  Drain and place in dish.  Melt butter in large saucepan. Add a little of the milk and the flour.  Using wooden spoon, stir until all lumps have gone. Gradually, add the rest of the milk. Next, add the velveeta and pepper. Stir over medium heat until sauce comes to a boil. It will thicken...promise... Pour over macaroni and stir until well blended.

Here's the yummy part...

Add topping as follows...
2/3 stick butter (6 Tbs)
3 slices of WHITE bread, crumbled

Melt butter in a small frying pan. Add bread and stir until bread has absorbed the butter. Spread this on top of mac n cheese.

Bake in a 375 degree oven for approximately 15-20 minutes until bubbly and TOPPING is crunchy.

Enjoy!
:-)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so in the Christmas rush! Thanks for making dinner easy :)

    ReplyDelete